Recently Oliver has developed an interest in aeroplanes and helicopters and so this week our activities have been focused on transportation by air. So to start with I decided to put together an aircraft rice sensory bin.
What you need:
- 500g of rice (We used long grain rice)
- 50 ml of blue food colouring
- 4 tablespoons of white vinegar
- Cotton wool balls
- Toy aeroplanes and helicopters
To dye the rice:
- Mix the rice, food colouring and vinegar together in a bowl until all of the rice is an even colour
- Line a baking tray or bread tin with greaseproof paper
- Pour the rice onto the tray or into the baking tin
- Leave to dry (time varies on the temperature of the room)
Once the rice was dry, I poured it into a plastic tray, dotted some white cotton balls (I pulled some apart) on top, put some toy aircraft in the tray and let Oliver loose.
Oliver had a great time pushing the rice around with his toy aeroplane and helicopter. The good thing about this activity is that there isn’t a lot of mess and any spillages are easy to clean up with a dustpan and brush or a hoover.
*Note: All sensory activities should be supervised by an adult at all times. This sensory activity is not edible. I accept no responsibility for any accident or injury caused by this activity.